Menopause is more often than not a challenging stage in a woman’s life. The milestone that is commonly called the “change of life” often carries a negative connotation which is constantly reinforced in our mass-media culture. The fluctuation of hormones may create disharmony in the body, mind and spirit. Physical symptoms seem to appear out of nowhere and the emotional upheaval that ensues may leave us anxious, depressed, angry, or feeling helpless. Our spirit may deplete and a sense of disconnect leaves us with the perception of being obsolete, alone and lost. This Yoga Therapy based workshop shows participants the path of self-healing, an innate quality we all possess. Whether your challenges are physical, emotional and/or spiritual, we teach you techniques that draw from the ancient tradition of Yoga, as well as modern medical and neurophysiological knowledge. The program will bring you back into balance, reduce anxiety, increase stress resistance and improve sleep quality and mood. The practices we teach address the following common symptoms that accompany the menopausal transition and post-menopause:
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO…
- In our dedication to promoting an immunity boosting diet during a self-healing time; all snacks and meals will be organic, vegan and gluten-free; you’ll be surprised at how delicious that can be!
- We will use mild spices and culinary herbs that are known to have healing benefits during hormonal shifts. We will do our best to accommodate food sensitivities and preferences, so it is important to make us aware in advance.
- Essential oils are not at all central to this course, but during the guided meditations, we will offer the use 100% wild-crafted , organic essential oils (a little goes a long way – we don’t overdo it) and essential oils are a part of the Self-Care Kit; therefore this clinic is NOT for anyone with a strong sensitivity to natural scents. We never use synthetic scents and ask that participants refrain from wearing synthetic scents. If you are interested in a scent-free Managing Menopause Series, email us HERE.
- We DO NOT sell or receive any type of compensation for anything we use or recommend (we do NOT sell essential oils).
- We encourage a community, collective sharing of ideas (solutions) at appropriate times, but this series is NOT for other healing modality practitioners to use for networking/marketing purposes, to sell products or to infringe on the privacy of the participants of this course.
WHY WE USE ESSENTIAL OILS
- The olfactory nerve is a cranial nerve that goes directly into the limbic system and therefore one of the fastest ways to influence the autonomic nervous system (e.g. going from frustration/irritation to a calm state) is by using scents.
- Genevieve Yellin (56 years old), the lead Yoga Therapist in this series is a graduate student at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King’s College; she has been exploring the use of cranial nerve stimulation for self-regulation for over a decade in her Trauma Informed Yoga Therapy work.
WHY WE PROMOTE IMMUNITY BOOSTING MEAL PLANS
- Foods break down into constituent molecules, just like drugs do – by ensuring a well-balanced diet, we provide our physical bodies with required nutrients for optimal functionality of all bodily systems.
- By temporarily removing some of the most difficult foods to digest and process, we allow our natural metabolic and immunologic mechanisms to flourish.
- It is conceivable that the nutritional value of food is influenced by the composition of our gut microbiome, and that dietary components shape the composition and functional status of the microbial community.